Monday, July 1, 2024

July 7, 2024. 14 Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B)

                             Readings: Ezekiel 2:2-5; 2 Cor. 12:7-10; Mk 6:1-6. 

Life’s Unpleasant Realities

We often think that our challenges are unique and that we are alone in our struggles. However, it’s important to remember that life’s challenges are universal. We may even believe that God is punishing us with sickness, loss, or deprivation. Sometimes, we may feel that others are more blessed, prosperous, or better endowed than us, leading to jealousy or envy. These feelings, though very human, may be far from the truth. Just as all lizards lie on their bellies, no one knows which among them has a stomachache. Or, as Shakespeare would say in Macbeth, “There’s no art to find the mind’s construction in the face.”

 

Today’s readings remind us of life’s harsh realities. Ezekiel felt unworthy when sent to preach to rebellious people. “I am sending you to the Israelites, rebels who have rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have revolted against me to this very day. Hard of face and obstinate of heart are they who I am sending you.” (Ez. 2:3-5). Preaching to rebellious people is unpleasant but terrible when the messenger feels unworthy. For the prophet, the thorn in his flesh is the burden of preaching to rebellious people. But the grace of God made it possible for Ezekiel. “The Spirit entered into me.” We must rely on help from above if we are to deal with the problems of life. Hence, we pray with the Psalmist, “Our eyes are fixed on the Lord, pleading for his mercy.”

 

In the second reading, Paul, a successful preacher, is blessed from above. He “Was caught up into Paradise and heard ineffable things, which no one may utter.” (2 Cor. 12:4). But he had life’s unpleasant realities too. “That I, Paul, might not become too elated because of the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Cor. 12:9).

 

Paul’s weakness humbled him. We do not know what Paul suffered from, but it made him as human as us. Paul discovered that his pains did not change how God felt about him. He was loved despite his brokenness, weakness, shortcomings, and limitations. Our weaknesses remind us how much God loves us; we are thorns in God’s flesh. “God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them.” (Gen.1:27).

Like Paul and Ezekiel, other prophets also had their share of thorns. Isaiah was unworthy, “Woe is me; I am doomed! For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips.” He was cleansed: “Now that this has touched your lips, your wickedness is removed, your sin purged.” (Is. 6: 5-8). Jeremiah was too young, “Ah, Lord God!” I said, “I know not how to speak; I am too young. Say not, “I am too young.” (Jer. 1:6-7). Moses was a reluctant prophet. He had many excuses, but God insisted he was right for the job. He told God he was not a good speaker, “If you please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past, nor recently, nor now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and tongue.” God reminded Moses who he was, “Who gives one man speech and makes another deaf and dumb? (Ex. 3:4-4: 17). Christ was willing, but his people rejected him, as we read in today’s Gospel. “Where did this man get all this? What kind of wisdom has been given him? What mighty deeds are wrought by his hands! And they took offense at him.”

 

We all have our share of thorns. We cause some while others are brought on us by people. How do you handle your thorns? The truth, as R.E.M sings: “When your day is night alone, if you feel like letting go (hold on) if you think you’ve had too much of this life, well hang on, ’cause everybody hurts, sometimes, everybody cries, sometimes.” You are not alone! Many times, we are burdened by our thorns. Be it rejection, sickness, death, broken heart, drugs, lack of money, bad marriage, debt burden, fear, sexual orientation. Like Jesus, we may be rejected by our parents, children, brothers, sisters, spouses, co-workers, friends, peers, and even church members. They may not get past their knowledge of you to know the new you.


Remember, God is not punishing you. The challenges you face are not a sign of God’s wrath but an opportunity to show strength and faith. Don’t give up; trust in God and persevere. Even if the challenge persists, remember Paul’s words: “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’” (2 Corinthians 12:8-9). God never turns anyone away. Even when others reject you, God is there for you because “All things work together for the good of those who love God.” (Romans 8:28). Be thankful, be blessed, be courageous, and above all, be happy!

 

Rev. Augustine Etemma Inwang, MSP

No comments:

Post a Comment